I don’t know about you but breakfast is what gets me out of bed in the morning (weekdays anyway). And now there’s an even better incentive to get up… Malty beery goodness in your breakfast cereal! We show you how to make spent grain muesli. It’s crunchy, nutty, biscuity, sweet and delicious (contains no alcohol)!
Makes approx. 12 servings
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 and a ½ cups of rolled oats
- 1 and a ½ cups of dried spent grain from BrewSmith Chocolate Paradise Porter, Hoppy Heart IPA or Aussie Wattle Pale Ale recipes (dry out wet spent brewing grain on a low temperature in a fan assisted oven for approx. 4 hours)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup of dried fruit
- 1 cup of mixed nuts
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup flax seeds
You can mix and match dried fruit, nuts and seeds to suit your tastes. Add whatever takes your fancy!
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius
- Line baking sheets with baking paper
- Combine honey, sugar and olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir often until sugar is dissolved (about 5 minutes)
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir over honey mixture. Combine thoroughly so that the dry ingredients have a fine coating of honey mixture
- Spread mixture evenly over baking sheets (I usually need two)
- Bake for around 20 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes so that ingredients get evenly toasted
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool
- Pour muesli into air tight container once cool
- The muesli will stick together so shake before serving to loosen
- Muesli will keep for a few weeks- longer than you will need it to because it’s so delicious it’ll be gone before you know it!
- Enjoy! Serve with milk or yogurt and maybe a sprinkling of cinnamon