Looking for some comfort food during those cold winter nights? Looking for a use for those spent grains from your latest batch of beer? Then look no further! We have a solution to both of those problems. Spent grain pear and cinnamon crumble. Warming, sweet, comforting and with icecream, even more delicious!
Around 8 pears (or apples or other fruit of your fancy)
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup of plain flour
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup of rolled oats
¾ cup of spent grain from your BrewSmith Chocolate Paradise Porter or Hoppy Heart IPA recipe (can be wet or dried but dried will make more crunchy)
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
2/3 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Peel pears, slice thinly and then put in a glass pie dish/ bowl. Pour on a couple of tablespoons of water and then place in the microwave for 6 minutes until pears have softened
- Take pears out of the microwave, stir in sugar and cinnamon and then put dish to one side
- Combine flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, spent grain, cinnamon in a large bowl until mixed through
- Melt butter and add vanilla essence to it and stir thoroughly
- Add butter mix to the dry ingredients and mix well with a fork. Ensure all ingredients are moist and have a crumbly texture
- Pour crumble on top of pear mixture in pie dish/bowl and bake for 30-20 minutes until crumble topping is slightly brown
- Eat with icecream, custard, cream or yogurt. I like icecream the best!
- Enjoy! Those winter nights aren’t so bad after all, are they?