Beer and pizza, pizza and beer. Was there ever a better match? Well, now you can take their relationship to the next level by adding spent brewing grain from your Chocolate Paradise Porter or Hoppy Heart IPA recipe to your pizza dough. It adds a nice colour and crunch to the dough. It also makes you feel all sanctimonious with the added fibre and nutrients you’re giving your body as well as being all green and sustainable-like. Give it a try today!
Spent Grain Pizza Dough:
Makes 2-3 pizzas (depending on how big you like them)
4.5 teaspoons of active dry yeast (or 2 sachets)
1 cup of lukewarm water
3 cups of plain white flour
1.5 cups of Chocolate Paradise Porter spent grain (still wet)
3 teaspoons of salt
Drizzle of olive oil
– Put the yeast and warm water into a bowl and stir vigorously until foamy. Leave for 5 minutes
– Next, pour in your flour, spent grain and salt and stir until a stiff dough is formed
– Once the dough is in one piece, turn onto a floured surface and commence kneading for 10 minutes. This part is key, do not skimp on kneading time. Your arm muscles as well as your pizza dough will thank you for it! You can knead either in the traditional way, where you continuously and quickly push the dough away from yourself with the heel of your hand or by slowly smoothing the dough out thinly and then folding it back in on itself
– When you’ve finished kneading, put the dough into a well oiled bowl and leave in a warm place. You can cover it with a plastic bag or clean tea-towel. Leave for 1 hour
– When you come back to your dough, it should have doubled in size.
– Now’s the time to heat your oven to 200 degrees celsius
– Punch the dough back down and leave it for another 30 minutes, whilst the oven warms up
– After 30 minutes, the dough is ready to be rolled out and your toppings applied. Get creative! We like a base of tomato pasta sauce, shredded mozzarella, minced garlic, finely chopped onion, mixed herbs and a handful of veggies and salami. Nacho pizza is also good – apply your base, throw on some nachos, some cheese, some more nachos and salsa and you’re good to go!
– Place your pizza on a baking tray (no need to be oiled) and cook for around 20 minutes each. They’re done when the cheese is melted and slightly browned
– Enjoy with a nice cold beer and some warm company